Antoinette (Toni) Warren is someone I met along my PR journey. Toni and I met through social media (Instagram is the plug) and we connected instantly. Toni held an event for young women and when she asked me to speak on the panel, I eagerly accepted. That was my VERY FIRST Speaking Engagement and I thank her for that opportunity. You know I love sharing my knowledge and stories with you all and when she emailed me the content for the blog, I couldn't wait to share!!
So, without further ado,
HERE IT GOES!!!!
If you do not:
a) Where have you been?
b) You’re missing out on all the potential networking and business opportunities that the internet provides. And if used correctly, there are tons of free marketing and brand exposure you can leverage.
In fact, many job recruiters expect candidates to not only have an online presence, but, will do research to ensure that your values and theirs align. They will also want to ensure that you are the right fit for the position you’ve applied for. All the more reason why having a digital presence is so important, especially in the industry and field you are pursuing a career in.
You can use social media and networking platforms like LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Periscope and a growing list of other platforms you can utilize to heighten brand exposure. This includes blogs/vlogs, tweets, snaps, webinars and tutorials, and podcasts just to name a few.
When I started a pop culture blog in 2008, I had no idea what the world of digital media would entail. But, in the eight plus years that I’ve spent creating a brand and growing my own presence, I’ve gained a slew of knowledge many would be more than happy to spend a pretty penny on. This includes brands and companies who seek ambassadors to heighten brand exposure.
I know individuals whose online presence has opened doors and presented opportunities to work and get paid by brands they admire and hired by corporations who value their knowledge and expertise. Some of these individuals, deemed influencers in their niche, even do consulting work and freelance as a means to make extra income.
I can also attest to this. I’ve worked with small business owners in implementing marketing and advertising campaigns, brand strategy, and public relations strategies. And all because an online presence and aligning myself with the right people at the right time.
Want to also build an online presence and position yourself as an expert in your field? Here are five things you should do to aid in the process:
- Have a presence, period! – Simple enough right? Start by creating accounts on the right social platforms that will likely reach your target audience.
- Digital synergy - It’s not enough just to have a presence, you have to ensure your social handles are the same or similar (your name/business name etc.) and there is synergy in your brand messaging (values) and the kind of content you produce.
- Be consistent – This is something most of us struggle with, but sticking to a posting schedule will be key in building your online community, essentially your brand ambassadors.
- Position yourself as an expert in your field/niche – Again, create content that will be valued by your community of readers and followers, who’ll then share that content and put you in a position to be deemed an expert.
- Align with Influencers – Network, network, network with career veterans in your field. These are the people who inspire you and you want to be like. Partner and cross-promote with these people through guest blogging efforts and content sharing. You may also want to seek out a mentor in your field.
Whether you use social platforms for leisure and connecting with family and friends or to grow more exposure for your brand or business, the key importance here is to have one.
What are some other ways you build your online presence?